Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Rex Ryan a Pats Fan? Fat Chance!

It’s the dog days of the offseason, however I thought this was worth noting.  Over the weekend I had a chance to check out new Adam Sandler flick “That’s My Boy.”  The movie is based off of an inappropriate teacher-student relationship resulting in a child.  The mother (whom is the teacher) is sent away to prison leaving the boy to take care of their baby boy. The movie highlights years later when the baby is grown up, successful, and ready to marry, when suddenly the deadbeat drunk father tries to re-enter his grown son’s life.  Sandler (The dead-beat father) goes to his second rate Boston attorney “Jim Nance”(1960’s Patriots Star running back: played as New York Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan) who offers him personal and financial advisement.  As much as I absolutely LOATHE the New York Jets as well as their big mouth coach Rex Ryan, I must say the scene is absolutely priceless!  Rex Ryan is wearing a suit with red and blue Patriots colors and his office is loaded with Boston Sports memorabilia. Primarily littered with Patriots fan gear, I was footballs, posters, banners, helmets ect. The scene was a hilarious comical twist since Rex is the coach of the head coach of Patriots arch rival- The New York Jets. The scene goes on to Rex Ryan showing off his “Bill Belichick Bobble head” to Sandler who gets angry and throws a chair at a Tom Brady MVP Poster.  Ryan goes on to yell at Sandler telling him that’s not how to treat a “genius”.  The whole scene is bazaar and you need to see for yourself.  Rex Ryan previously has made a cameo appearance on CSI, and has been featured on his unforgettable season of HBO’s Hard Knocks where he came in as a head coach and displayed his colorful language and personality. 






Sandler, who is known to be a huge Jets fan, saw Rex’s acting potential and gave him the call. Sandler has this to say about landing the Jets head coach-"I can't believe the great coach said OK to it. It was cool as hell."

 Sandler also had this to say in choosing Ryan’s character.
"We thought it would be funny because we wanted a lawyer that could handle degenerates well, and we knew Rex could handle anyone," Sandler said.

It wasn’t all easy for the Jets head coach. Here is some of what Rex Ryan had to say about the film.

“I will say this, it’s way more work than I thought it would be-I just thought you’re gonna go in there, rattle off a couple lines and that’s gonna be it. But when they said, ‘Oh yeah. Shoot that again,’ I’m just like, ‘What, are you kidding me?’ Now I know how the players feel when we say, ‘Run that play again.’ But it was a blast.”

Sandler said Rex was “100 percent prepared, like every coach is, stepped in there nailed it, didn't realize he was going to have do about 600 takes, but he rolled with the punches."

Even Pats fans on the set were won over! "He's such a great guy and such a real man even Pats fans said, 'I gotta say, that guy is cool,' " Sandler said. "I'm not saying they're going to be Jets fans, but once you meet the coach it's hard to root against the guy. He's a stud."

I tend to agree.  As much as I can’t stand the guy on the field, he is certainly a funny guy and his opening scene in the film clearly displayed that.  I am not sure Coach Belichick would rush to debut on the silver screen, however I did find this interesting-

Sandler said both Bill Belichick and Tom Brady gave permission for their names to be used. "They're great guys and they were cool," Sandler said. "They like Rex and they knew it would be fun to have him be a Pats fan and they were totally game."

Here is a little more of what Rex had to say on his part.

"I tell you what, I definitely felt like a fish out of water, but it was fantastic," he said. "Sandler was hysterical. I am telling you, all the time he is this way-It was great. They make you feel good."

Another interesting note Rex was asked what other NFL coach Rex would like to do a comedic acting spot

"Bellichick" Rex responded. "I think it would be good, there is no doubt, He's a funny guy.  He just doesn't let people know it"

Don’t hold your breath Rex.  Below is a link of the movie trailer with a peak of Rex Ryan in Patriots colors. Check out “That’s My Boy” now playing in theatre’s everywhere!

http://www.nypost.com/video?freewheel=90081&sitesection=nypost&VID=23631328

No comments:

Post a Comment