Saturday, March 1, 2014

Brace Yourself - The Ron Brace Story

With the 2013 NFL season in the books and the blink of an eye- it is draft season! Reminding us that with every draft pick there are expectations high and low- for every player selected and a story that follows. I was able to catch up with former New England Patriot defensive tackle Ron Brace and chat about his journey from getting drafted by the Patriots to his departure from the team.  Let’s take a look back in time and see how Ron’s story unfolded. 



It was April 25th, 2009. Day one of the NFL Draft and the New England Patriots held back to back selections in the second round-picks 40 and 41 respectively.  At pick 40 the New England Patriots selected a gargantuan run stuffer from Boston College at 6’3 330 lbs by the name of Ron Brace.  Brace was a collegiate standout with BC Eagles team mate and Green Bay Packers first round selection -B.J. Raji.  Together they were one of the most dominant interior defensive line tandems in the nation.  At the time the Patriots and their star defensive tackle- Vince Wilfork, were still trying to close in on a long term deal and the Patriots wanted youth as well as insurance at the position.  Brace was billed to be just that and then some leading up to the draft.  Growing up locally in Springfield Mass, Brace had obviously followed the Patriots on the side and it seemed to be a perfect landing spot.  It was a story book dream come true for Ron.  The hometown kid getting drafted on day 1 of the NFL draft by his hometown team Patriots. Brace recalled being at his grandmother’s house on draft day when Patriots head Coach Bill Belichick and his assistant called to welcome him to the team and inform him they would be selecting him at pick 40.  Before training camp begun, Brace inked a 4 year deal with 2.82 million in guarantees.  Brace’s agent at the time described Ron to be “Very excited to get his deal done with the Patriots, “ while adding, “It’s a dream come true for him.” 

As good as things seemed it was unfortunately too good to be true.  Players typically drafted early have huge expectations and are expected to step in and make an immediate impact for their team.  In 2009 of Ron Brace’s rookie season, he was active for 9 games starting in 2- recording only 8 tackles. The Patriots made it to the playoffs in which Brace was inactive for their loss to the Baltimore Ravens. After an unimpressive rookie season, the reports were that Brace was injured.  With a full offseason under his belt to learn the system and get healthy- expectations were still sky high for Brace to come in and make the “year two jump” and impact the defense.  2010 was interesting for Brace where he opened the season in the starting lineup but finished the year on IR with what was reported to be an elbow injury, tallying up 5 starts on the season with 23 tackles.  Brace lost his starting spot to players like Myron Pryor and Brandon Deadrick who were drafted much lower than he was.  In 2011 Brace started the season on the PUP list and in 2012 he was released from the Patriots. 

So what does all of this mean?  How could such a promising young player- which the team obviously felt strong enough to take with an early second round draft selection not get an opportunity to assert himself into the starting lineup?  For the first time ever-this is Ron Brace's side of the story shared exclusively with Premium Pats!

On what went wrong in New England-

"I am still looking for the answer myself.  I wasn't told much of nothing while there.  I knew after they changed Pep (Former Patriots defensive line coach Pepper Johnson) to linebackers coach I knew I wasn't going to play."


I followed up asking Ron looking back if there was anything the Patriots or he could have done a better job on during his time in New England.

“I did my job.  That's why I lasted four years there.  I asked questions but never got no real answers.  Biggest problem- no communication. I took reps with the ones and twos but never got any answers on what my job was. " 

To me this came as a bit of a surprise.  In an organization that's primary motto is "do your job" it is shocking to me to find out that as a player for the Patriots would be left confused on what his role was with the team.     





Brace undeniably frustrated, recalled how he felt during that time-

  "People thought I sucked but in reality I was held back.  It was like every time I had a good game I would be inactive."


Watching from a far it was curious to see Brace go from starting a game to being inactive every other week.    

"After I left New England I had to get surgery for a hernia in my hip I got in OTA-I played the whole season with that hernia and missed two days in camp because of it."

Brace's final season with the Patriots-

"The last season they had me on the injury report when nothing was wrong with me.  I had to read the paper one day to find out they had me on the injury report when nothing to my knowledge was bothering me.  Then after I got cut I got tested by a doctor and he said I had a hernia in the spot I had a golf ball size lump during OTAs that they didn't MRI until it was over. It's a dirty business.  I seen some messed up situations."


Brace remembered-

 "One time someone told me I smile too much. What type of shit is that?  I'm not supposed to be happy at work?  I never did anything to take the focus off the team like I said but I was treated like they had to bail me every weekend from jail."

Looking back do you wish you were drafted by a team other than the Patriots?

"Yea I do but I wouldn't have gotten the knowledge I got from there anywhere else so it was bittersweet. People (in the locker room) treated me like a human being and cared about my personal life it was crazy.  I got nothing bad to say except I was sad to leave those guys."

On how hard it was to play under Bill Belichick-

"In my experience I wouldn't say it was hard, just frustrating putting in work and getting nothing from it but money.  I didn't give a shit about the money.  Most of my checks I didn't cash until a couple months later- I just wanted to play." 

The Patriots have their own way of doing things and continue to show that it doesn't matter who you are- everyone on the roster is replaceable.

"I knew that when I first got there when they got rid of Seymour.  I saw a lot of people come and go from there."

On the contrary it is hard to argue the way the Patriots do business.  The Patriots are one of the most successful teams in the NFL over the past decade.  


On Patriot owner Robert Kraft-

 "I have to say (Robert) is one of the best men I've met.  He helped me raise $250,000 for my city after the tornado hit.  Being there allowed me to bring the Pats to Springfield, a city that needed help with its youth so for that I am really grateful."




On if Ron would play for Pepper Johnson again in Buffalo-

"I'll take a bullet for that man.  He did more for me than he knows. They are stacked over there for D-line man I checked that first but I am really now just looking for a job.  I don't feel right if I'm not working."

On playing again-

"I know I can play.  Players I went up against know I can play.  People I played with know I can play.  As far as going back, I am only going to a team who really wants me and is not wasting my time.  If someone wants a real run stopper- my agents number didn't change."


This is just one player's story.  You never know what a player is going to do in the NFL.   Unfortunately, things didn't work out the way Ron or the Patriots wanted. Ron is still young at 27 years old and is hopeful he will play again in the NFL, but the ending to his story of what really happened between the player and the New England Patriots club remains unclear. Teams hit and miss on players.  It is an inexact science and for us as fans, it is really fascinating to hear a player’s side of the story which typically isn't shared often inside New England. 


I want to take this time to thank Ron Brace for taking the time to chat with me and sharing his thoughts!  Please follow Ron and myself on Twitter @BraceYoself97 @MikeOnofrio ! Check back on PremiumPats.com for more content!

No comments:

Post a Comment